Motorola MC55 is a ruggedized Windows Mobile Pocket PC from Motorola-Symbol company (now Google-owned). Typically these devices are used in enterprise applications and so is expensive.
From time to time and when application starts running slowly and crashing, it is good to reset the device. There are three types of reset:
- Warm boot /reset – similar to doing a shutdown > restart in your computer (or the infamous CTRL ALT DELETE in DOS and some Linux platform
- Cold boot / reset – a cold boot is similar to powering on your computer from a complete shutoff.
- Hard /Factory reset – re-image the device to its primal state
- Put the device in the cradle and make sure the USB is connected to your Windows Machine and power plug is also plugged.
- Download the reset software from symbol: https://docs.symbol.com/downloads/55xxw61xxxDBA00001.zip
- Extract 55xxw61xxxDBA00001.zip into a folder in your machine
- On your machine, navigate to your MC55’s my documents folder via the explore function in your ActiveSync (in case of Windows XP) or explore the file/folder from Windows Mobile Device Center (for Vista and W7)
- Copy the extracted files to the my documents folder of your MC5
- Using the File Explorer on your MC55, navigate to the My Documents folder (make sure the handheld is still in the cradle
- Tap and run StartUpdLdr.exe
- After 20 seconds or more, the device will execute an Update Loader boot which will cause the PKGS.LST file deposited on the device to be processed
- Once this is complete, you have a re-image / factory-reset mC55